Lemon Meringue Cheesecake is a delicious dessert that combines the flavors of tangy lemon curd, rich cheesecake, and fluffy meringue topping. It is a unique twist on the classic lemon meringue pie, where the traditional pie crust is replaced with a creamy cheesecake layer, making it more decadent and indulgent.
For the crust:
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
For the cheesecake filling:
- 24 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
For the lemon curd:
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
For the meringue:
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
How To Make Lemon Meringue Cheesecake
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- To make the crust, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter in a bowl. Mix until well combined. Press the mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and let it cool while you prepare the filling.
- To make the cheesecake filling, beat the cream cheese in a large bowl until smooth and creamy. Add the sugar and beat until well combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the lemon juice, lemon zest, and sour cream until well combined.
- Pour the cheesecake batter into the cooled crust and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake the cheesecake for 45-50 minutes or until set around the edges but still slightly jiggly in the center.
- While the cheesecake is baking, make the lemon curd. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the eggs and sugar until well combined. Add the lemon juice, butter, and lemon zest, and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Once the cheesecake is done baking, remove it from the oven and let it cool to room temperature. Once it has cooled, spread the lemon curd evenly over the top of the cheesecake.
- To make the meringue, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, while beating on high speed, until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the meringue over the lemon curd, making sure to cover the edges of the cheesecake to prevent any cracks.
- Bake the cheesecake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown.
- Remove the cheesecake from the oven and let it cool to room temperature before chilling in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
Enjoy your delicious and impressive Lemon Meringue Cheesecake!