- For the Filling:
- 8-10 cabbage leaves
- 1 lb of lean ground beef
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp of pepper
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup of rice
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 beaten egg
- cheese of your choice for toppings
- For the Sauce:
- 1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- 2 tbsp of ketchup
- 1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp of lemon juice
- Boil a large pot of salted water.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg and milk. Combine the ground beef, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and rice.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice. Mix until it’s well combined.
- Cutting deeply at a 45 degree angle, remove the core of the cabbage. Place it in the boiling water and allow it to boil for 5 minutes. Using tongs, remove 8 – 10 leaves. Allow the leaves to cool completely.
- Lay out a cabbage leaf and scoop about 4 tbsp (1/4 cup) of the mixture in. Roll it up.
- Pour a layer of sauce into the bottom of a casserole dish. Place the cabbage rolls in, side by side, and cover them with the remaining sauce. Place a lid, or a piece of aluminum foil, on the dish. Place it in a 350 degree F preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and grate your favourite cheese on top. Serve, and enjoy your cabbage rolls.
Calories: 488 | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium: 431mg | Potassium: 895mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 620IU | Vitamin C: 66.1mg | Calcium: 113mg | Iron: 3.3mg